Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Daiso, $2 Shop that's a Fun Browse

First, a disclaimer. I don't work for Daiso. It's just that it's one of my favourite places to wander around here in Singapore.

Billed as "Japan's No 1 ranking livingware supplier", it's a fantastic place for picking up gifts and gift packaging, craft supplies, materials for d-i-y projects, gardening stuff, stationery, and all kinds of household items - crockery, cleaning materials, containers, etc.

All at $2 per item, which in most cases represent really good value, since the quality is acceptable to great. (The items certainly do not look cheap; they look like they should be worth much more than $2)

What I really like about Daiso also: they sell intriguing Japanese items. When I go there, I often pick up something, and wonder... what on earth is this for? (Can't help it, I'm a nerd at heart). The descriptions are often in Japanese, so it's another challenge trying to figure it out from the pictures. One time I was there, I learnt that, apparently, the Japanese make use of little picks for labelling their lunch. Cute.

Branches:
My favourite Daiso branch is the one at IMM Jurong - it' the largest one. But nearer to the centre of Singapore, you'll also find Daiso at VivoCity (good selection, but narrow aisles make shopping not as comfortable as the one at IMM) and Plaza Singapura (the smallest one).

No comments:

Post a Comment