Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Getting a new Malaysian passport at the High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore

I thought I'd share my recent experience applying for a new Malaysian passport at the High Commission of Malaysia in Singapore. Hopefully, it'll be helpful to others.

STEP 1: FINDING OUT WHAT TO BRING

  • What I did was call the High Commission's telephone line for Immigration and Consular matters - 67328067 - for recorded instructions. The recorded message also gives fax and email contacts.
  • The message mentioned that they process a maximum of 200 applications a day.

STEP 2: GETTING THERE

  • The High Commission is located at: 301 Jervois Road.
  • To get there, I took the MRT to Redhill, then Bus 32 to the stop opposite Valley Point (on River Valley Road). From that stop, it takes less than 5 minutes to walk to the High Commission.
STEP 3: GETTING IN

  • You will need a pass from the guardhouse. When I got there at 7.45 am (they were supposed to start giving out passes at 7.30 am), I got a green "I" (Submission) pass number 096.
  • I was also given an application form while queueing at the guardhouse to get my pass. There is no charge for the form.
  • I noted that older people were reminded to show senior citizen cards. They got a pass with a different colour - I assume that means they get priority.

STEP 4: SUBMISSION

  • Submission is accepted from 8.00 am - 11.30 am, subject to limits on the number of applications processed each day.
  • To get a queue number to submit your application, you have to produce:
    - Completed application form
    - Current or expiring passport
    - 2 passport-sized photographs with the right specifications
    - Malaysian IC and photocopy
    - Singapore IC (or work permit, student pass, etc.) and photocopy

Photos and Photocopying

  • There's a photo booth at one side of the submission area. You'll have to go to the person manning the booth to get a queue number, then wait till your number is called (you can take a seat). Charge for photos: $6. When I got there at about 8 am, I was given number 43, with about 30 people in front of me. I waited an hour there.
  • The photocopying service is next to the photo booth.

Getting a submission queue number

  • This step requires you to stand in queue. I started lining up at 9 am, and only got the queue number about an hour later. Luckily, I had the foresight to bring a page-turner along (Barbara Nadel's Arabesk: Inspector Ikmen #3 in case you're wondering. Engrossing story!).
  • After that, you can take a seat while you wait for your number to come up on the display board. Whew! I definitely needed to sit down by then.
  • It was slightly more than an hour, 11.15 am, before I was able to submit my application and make payment. The fee for a new passport is RM300,and they accept Singapore Dollars in cash only. On the day that I went, I was asked for S$124.

STEP 5: COLLECTION

  • Collection is from 2.30 pm - 4.15 pm.
  • You have to first get a yellow "Q" pass from the guard house. I got to the guard house at about 1.45 pm, and was given number 028.
  • Collection started promptly at 2.30 pm, with everyone getting their passports based on their Q pass number. It took about 15 minutes to get to my turn ie number 28.

Once I had my new passport, I proceeded to the Singapore Immigration website to transfer my Singapore re-entry permit. You can do it electronically nowadays - http://erep.ica.gov.sg/erep/index.do. Just fill in a few details, and print out the new re-entry permit.

No comments:

Post a Comment